We need TWO computers in this house. It’s getting too difficult to kick my husband off. Sigh.
My sister-in-law just had her baby shower on Sunday. We rarely see my husband’s side of the family. They’re all over the place with members in Thunder Bay, Walkerton, Chepstow, Toronto, Guelph, and Peterborough; whereas my family are all within the GTA. So, it was great catching up with everyone again.
Seeing my sister-in-law just reminded me again of how much I miss being pregnant. My husband and I have talked about having a second child. But, with the economy right now…
Anyway, I really enjoyed being preggers. For the first time in my life, I felt like a WOMAN! I felt empowered and beautiful. OK, I understand that I was pretty lucky. For some women, pregnancy is hell. But, there are definite perks to carrying that proverbial “bundle of joy”.
1) The kindness of strangers – All of a sudden, people have manners. You get doors opened for you, seats are offered, and packages carried on your behalf. Granted, this should happen EVERYDAY. But, once your belly starts showing, the world falls over itself trying to make your life easier.
2) No one blinks an eye when you go up to the buffet for thirds and fourths – You don’t have to eat for two. But, it’s definitely nice to have that burger, fries, and chocolate ice cream for lunch without someone getting up in your face about it.
3) You can wear yoga pants to work – This makes me laugh evilly. Sorry, but any chance I get to work in comfy clothes, I am going to rub it in your face.
4) Boobies – I definitely miss this. I’m pretty small (but perky!) so the extra cleavage was a lot of fun to flaunt. Mind you, I was cursing these weapons of mass lactation when my milk came in. It was fun while it lasted though.
5) Hormones rock – Yes, they can also make you bipolar and irrational. But, who cares when your hair is super shiny, nails ridiculously strong, and skin fabulously radiant? It’s like being a supermodel. Unfortunately, it only lasts until that sucker pops out. Then you wish that a makeup, hair, and spa team was at your beck and call.
6) You’re allowed to be coo-coo for cocoa puffs – Sending your hubby to Taco Bell at 4 AM for chili cheese fries is perfectly permissible – even expected. Sobbing hysterically one minute and then laughing maniacally is OK. You can talk to your belly and even draw smiley faces on it . What would normally be greeted with calls for medication and therapy is accepted – begrudgingly of course.
There you go. It’s too bad that these perks only last for roughly nine months at a time. Well, of course you can be crazy, eat like a pig, dress like a slob, and get a boob job anytime if you want. But, trust me – it’s not the same.